Artists of the Fal areaTHE Fal area boasts one of the most exciting, diverse, energetic and creative art scenes in Cornwall. It is our mission to promote an understanding, appreciation and enjoyment of heritage and art – its enhancement of people's lives in the community, and to encourage an understanding of the rich artistic heritage of Falmouth, Cornwall and the South West within an international context. Falmouth has attracted major artists to the area to produce work, including J.M.W. Turner (1775-1851), the artists of the first Falmouth Art Gallery such as, Charles Napier Hemy RA (1841-1917), Henry Scott Tuke RA RWS (1858-1929) and Sophie Anderson (1823-1912), who was the first Cornish based woman artist to have a painting sell for over a million pounds at auction (No walk today, lot 96, Sothebys, 19 November 2008). Other major artists to visit included: Stanhope Forbes RA (1857-1947), Sir Frank Brangwyn RA (1867-1956), John Singer Sargent RA (1856-1925) and Augustus John (1878-1961). Falmouth also played a part in the modernist movement with visits from Sir William Coldstream (1908-1987), Ben Nicholson (1894-1982), Christopher Wood (1901-1930), and Alfred Wallis (1855-1942). In 2004 the gallery mounted a highly acclaimed exhibition showing the 'Surrealists in Cornwall", featuring Roland Penrose (1900-1984), Lee Miller (1907-19770, Man Ray (1890-1976), Max Ernst (1891-1976), Leonora Carrington (born 1917), Eileen Agar (1899-1991) and Henry Moore (1898-1986) who all stayed at Lambe Creek, near Falmouth in 1937. Falmouth College of Arts (now University College Falmouth) has attracted to the area a great many accomplished artists and illustrators and continues to do so. The gallery wishes to collect the very best work that reflects the rich artistic heritage of University College Falmouth and the surrounding art scene. Formerly Falmouth School of Art, its origins can be traced to the life classes held in the middle room of Falmouth Art Gallery. These proved so popular that they eventually had to move to bigger premises in Arwenack Avenue. The foundation stone for the School of Art was laid there by the Honourable Lord St Levan on 18 August 1901.
491 records on 41 pages